As of October 1, 2019 the Merit Badge Counselor List is only available on Scoutbook. See your Unit Leader (Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor) for a counselor’s name and the required Blue Card. *.
Scoutmasters, Venturing Crew Advisors and their Assistants in assigning Merit Badge Counselors to Scouts in their respective units. Scouts need to visit with their unit leader and get a signed Merit Badge Card commonly called ‘Blue Cards’ before making contact with a Merit Badge Counselor
Become a Merit Badge Counselor
To be added to the list as a Merit Badge Counselor you need to turn in the following forms to the Scout Office.
- Adult Application and Background check Authoriztation Form
- Copy of Youth Protection Training Certificate
- Merit Badge Counselor Information Form
- Copies of certifications are needed to teach the following merit badges. These requirements can be found in the Guide to Advancement beginning on page 44.
- Life Saving
- Motor Boating
- Rifle Shooting
- Scuba Diving
- Shotgun Shooting
- Small Boat Sailing
- Snow Sports
- Water Sports
- White Water
- It is highly recommended only those in the following professions are merit badge counselors for the following merit badges.
- Veterinary Medicine
To Remove or Add Merit Badges
If you are on the list and would like to make changes, please send in a “Merit Badge Counselor Information Form” to add or remove merit badges.
To Be Renewed for the Coming Year
Merit Badge Counselors who are on the list for the current year and have current Youth Protection Training will have their registration as a Merit Badge Counselor automatically renewed for the coming year. If you no longer wish to be a Merit Badge Counselor, please send in a “Merit Badge Counselor Information Form” to remove merit badges or send an email informing the council’s registrar to be removed from the list.
** NOTE: To be renewed as a MBC for 2021 you must have also turned in the “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization” form that National now requires.